Sunday, October 27, 2013

All the lonely people

Over the last nineteen years, the Internet has changed my life in ways great and small. I've learned things I wouldn't have known.  I've met wonderful people from all over the world. I've enjoyed newsgroups and chat. And I've enjoyed reading thoughtfully-written blogs and fondly recall the days of Geocities websites.

I can't say the same about "social" media, particularly Facebook.

Recently, a friend of fifty years told me that he isn't interested in my friendship unless I join the Facebook. That would be stunning, except he isn't alone. Do I need his friendship and that of his ilk? What am I missing out on?

I've elected not to join the Facebook for several reasons:

  • First, generally speaking, it is a ridiculous waste of time. 
  • Second, Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are not trustworthy. This is why the USMC and others have banned Facebook. Too many times the Facebook Company has disclosed confidential information by altering privacy settings without warning. It's put them at odds with privacy commissioners in several countries, including Canada. Such a venue is inappropriate for personal messages, and it is inappropriate to publish a list of one's acquaintances. (I think we all know the story of Barack Obama and Bill Ayers.) 
  • Third, Facebook (and others) are, simply put, in the business of gossip. My private life should be my private life. So should yours, including whether (or not) you choose to read my postings!
I publish two blogs and a website. Anything I publish over the Internet (other than a private email or similar message) is free for everyone to read. You don't have to register to read my sites; why should I have to register to read about your pets, children, science fair projects or toilet habits?

If you want to publish something for the whole world, publish it on a site like this or start a web page! It isn't at all difficult.  If you want a select audience, use email and send to multiple recipients, if appropriate.

If you're just lonely, make someone happy and be a real friend: Call them up, send a text, an email, Christmas or birthday card!